Continuing the Journey

Take Our Survey | Join our Newsletter|

I have on my desk the last issue of Weavings. The theme for this November/December/January issue invites us to “Keep the Door Open for the Holy.” I’m earnestly hoping that I can do that even through the sadness I feel for the loss of a resource that has formed and shaped so many of us.

desktop2As we at The Upper Room discern the next steps in our publishing journey, we will continue to be inspired and influenced by the legacy of this resource, its founder, John Mogabgab, the many writers whose voices we carry in our hearts, and the relationships we have developed with you, the readers.

While we know that contemplative writing and content from the Weavings archive will live on as a part of the digital offerings of The Upper Room, we don’t know yet the specifics of these resources. I hope that you will fill out a short survey to tell us more about your preferences so that they might shape our future.

And we want to stay in touch. If you have not already subscribed to the Weavings Email Newsletter, please sign up to hear from us about new offerings.

Finally, we would like to hear your stories about Weavings. How did you discover Weavings? How have you used Weavings in your personal life or ministry setting? What has Weavings meant to you? Please share your stories in the comments area below.

We are grateful and humbled to have shared this journey with you for the past thirty-one years. We hope that you continue to be formed by the One who gave us the gift of Weavings journal. And that Weavings lives on as you grow ever closer to God and one another.

Blessings,
Beth A. Richardson
Managing Editor

25 Responses to “Continuing the Journey”

1. Patricia O'Malley says:

I too am so sad that this lovely journal will no longer arrive at my home. Each issue seemed to come at the “right time” in the spiritual journey. I loved the reflections, and poetry and art work. This morning I think God is sad too. Pat

2. Louise McRae says:

I have been reading Weavings for over 20 years and have grown in my faith journey as a direct result.
    I will miss seeing the welcomed packet in my mailbox!

3. I am very sad that Weavings will no longer be available in print form. Perhaps an online archive could be indexed and made available. Thinking people would surely subscribe, even if selections were released in blog format.

4. Gina Manskar says:

This is one of the ideas we are exploring, Jeanetta. Stay tuned!

5. Catherine Esary says:

I began reading Weavings when my husband was in seminary (in the beginning of the publication). It has been a journey of blessings.

6. I am so very sad that Weavings will no longer be published. I am a long-time subscriber, and will very much miss the journal, so convenient to pick up and read any time, any place. I hope the on-line version is easy to manage for this reader, who has appreciated the inspiring themes.

7. Christy Sizemore Robeson says:

I was first introduced to Weavings by my campus minister, Sam Carothers, at Meredith College in 1987. Since that time, I have subscribed off and on, especially when I am searching for a connection with Christ. Weavings has encouraged me and challenged me to make that connection and keep it. The most recent volume that has really encouraged change in me is Beloved. This volume prompted change in me. I’m sad there will not be new volumes to continue to encourage, but I am blessed by having been introduced to this resource so many years ago. I will miss it.

8. Nik Donges says:

I am very sad to see Weavings end. It became the source of my daily devotions and often prompted new learnings in the areas of spirituality.

9. Mary Anne Evans says:

I used to see Weavings on my mother’s bookshelves years ago, before I was ready to explore my own spirituality to the depths Weavings articles called for. She is gone now, but I finally share her quest for spiritual depth and her understanding that Weavings makes a great journey partner.

10. Belva Hoffman says:

I have read “Weavings” for many years, can’t remember how long, and have been surprised so many time how God knows my needs just at the right time. Weavngs has been such an encouraging resource for me, giving me the strength to share His love for others. I have been blessed!
    Thank all who have share their wisdom and faith. You are loved.

11. Sam Pendergrast says:

I began subscribing to Weavings with the May/June, 1993 issue, thanks to contact with Loretta Ross, who blogs at Holy Ground and has a prayer and spiritual direction ministry in Topeka, KS. I still have all the issues of Weavings from all those years on my shelf! Thank you for the way it has shaped my life and spirit.

12. linda & wayne mendro says:

I almost cried when I just read that my favorite magazine will be discontinued. Thank you for all the beauty it has brought me over the years. I have every issue. I will just have to bring one out every month and reread it. God has mightily used you all. God bless you all in your journey. Linda Mendro

13. Myscha Crouch says:

I first discovered Weavings at the Academy for Spiritual Formation. Weavings has been the basis for our group of 5 women who have been together for more than a dozen years. It has enriched our journey in spiritual formation. It has challenged us to pray, think and act in ways that reflect the women we have become. We are mourning the loss of a blessing that we took for granted for so many years. We also see this as an opportunity to grow again and we are holding the staff in prayer as we too wait and stay open for the Holy.

14. Kake Nations says:

Our church librarian led me to Weavings almost 20 years ago, and there was a particular article that struck me the first time I opened the pages. It spoke of choosing between two goods, about discernment. I keep it nearby still. From those dark days I have journeyed to light and new life. At the school of theology, where I am about to graduate, I became the benefactor of many back issues. These I treasure — not only the words, but the magnificent woodblock artwork. Each issue is filled with the Holy Spirit, with presence and tender, loving, powerful words and prayers of siblings in the faith. All blessings be upon each soul who took part. All will be well ~

15. Sue Kiryluk says:

I have been reading Weavings since its inception except for a few years when my life was so busy. I like to reread them and find that my comments in the margin are a time line of my own spiritual journey. An electronic version will not provide for the sensation of touch and the warm feeling as I “voice” my thoughts in the margins as I read & meditate. Weavings has been like a favorite sweater that wraps me in God’s love in the early morning quiet.
    I have participated in small group studies using Weavings and used excerpts as part of a devotion or as an illustration. (Just last week I used “Shadowbound” from March/April 1991 in a small group study.)

I pray that the Weavings style of writing and the wonderful authors will be available to us in some useful way, even if I have to join the modern world of electronic reading & journaling.

16. Jolinne Downey says:

My aunt had a couple of poems published in Weavings when I was a young adult. She had been sexually assaulted during her childhood, and the publication of her poetry was a huge step in the recovery process for her. The journal, in general, was a vital resource in her spiritual growth, and in mine. I am deeply saddened by its demise.

17. Kathy Houser says:

I started reading Weavings when I attended my first 5 day Academy. Have loved it and have given them to different people I have met . Everyone has loved it and asked where they could get them.

18. Jan O'Hara says:

Weavings is a beautiful journal–one which I am a newcomer to! I am so sorry I missed out on it all these years. What a beautiful, Spirit-inspired treasure!

19. Heather Elkins says:

This has been a week of giving away treasures. I handed out the last copies I had of Alive now to my class on Story and Sacrament. There are several students who have the gift of writing as a spiritual discipline. They were grateful for the text and saddened at the same time.

At the end of the day I went for an overnight silent retreat at St John the Baptist Convent, an Episcopalian nuns retreat center. Entering their library after dinner I saw a table of materials, neatly organized into piles with small wooden blocks that bore the name of each publication in elegant handwritten script. I smiled as I wondered which of the habited sisters had such lovely penmanship. Seeing the stack of Weavings” made me proud of the past and sad about the present. We won’t have a place at the table in the days to come. May the computer in corner of the library house the images and insights of Beth and so many others in the future.

20. Adele Dingle says:

Weavings has been the reading exercise for a group of 12 or so of us from the Stiilpioint retreat centre for about 15 years or more. We are of quite diverse theological backgrounds but Weavings has uniquely spoken directly to our spirits through the spirit as we shared by monthly. A useful home devotional tool and the basis for such group nourishment will be hard to replace.

21. Sue says:

I’ll miss underling and “journaling” in the blank spaces. I always enjoyed reviewing what had touched me and/or seemed vital at a particular time. I’ll continue to keep my old copies. Spiritual truth never goes out of style. Lee (Sue) Smith

22. Dan says:

Dear Weavings,
    A friend gave an article from your magazine a while back. It was so impacting. I just came to your website to subscribe to your magazine. deep spiritual food is hard to come by these days. Please I urge you not to stop this powerful work. Money or resources should never be an obstacle to serve the Lord and His people. The Lord will provide all our needs to serve Him. I am sure that many would be happy to contribute towards the continuation of Weavings. I encourage you to get the word out to more people as I know so many friends who never heard of your outstanding work would be interested to read it. May the Lord guide you and greatly bless you.

23. Sharon says:

Dear Upper Room,
    I shall sorely miss receiving a hard copy of Weavings for I look forward to underlining and journaling in its pages. Many times, I have passed along the author’s messages to family and friends who seek a close and valuable relationship with God. For me, touching a book has always been holy and spiritual. When our founding minister retired, he left many copies of Weavings he had collected throughout the years, and I have added many to my library. I go to them when I need to read about specific subjects and become full of spiritual hope and endurance.
    Thank you for your commitment all of these years and for your continued efforts in bringing enlightened articles to us. Perhaps, it may become possible to once again make hard copies for those of us who have enjoyed receiving them. God bless you in all ways as you forge ahead.

24. Weavings has been and, through all of my back issues, still is at the core of my resources for my spiritual journey. I am so distressed to know it is being discontinued in its print format. My highlighted passages and margin notes have provided me with uncounted opportunities to share with others and to once again enrich my own meditations.

25. I have read and shared Weavings almost from the beginning. Thank you. I am signing up to have it come to my email address.